This email is in support of all the public library services that may be under threat due to the new government’s cuts.
We consider that libraries are an essential part of the local community and we will list the necessary things that they do to help the community:-
1. Helping schoolchildren to read more and to make them more competitive to achieve good reading skills.
2. In most cases librarians are a help to computer users at all age levels to supplement the “Computer Buddy” scheme.
3. They also help the public with local information regarding locations of Citizens Advice Bureaus and other help with the Councils etc.
4. They have local information regarding local walks, points of interest and local history.
5. They take part in village fetes and shows to further promote use of the libraries.
6. They provide local newspapers, coffee machines and rest areas for people to relax whilst in the library.
7. Everything is at the library for people to complete CV’s and job applications i.e. scanners, photocopiers, and computers.
8. Also the schemes to take books to housebound people are very important, as are the mobile libraries who provide books to isolated locations.
Our local library might be under threat – it is Aylesham in Kent, and we have found the staff there to be more than helpful. They have been so enthusiastic and obviously love their jobs and we would be very sad if all this closed down and we feel sure that the whole community of Aylesham would be devastated if they were cut off from their library.