We welcome CILIP’s recently launched campaign, My Library By Right, which champions the call for access to quality public library services, including:
- The public’s rights to libraries to be recognised and respected
- Public libraries to be treated as the statutory services they are
- The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) to carry out their legal duties under the 1964 Public Libraries and Museums Act
- Statutory guidance for local authorities on their duties under the 1964 Public Libraries and Museums Act from DCMS, with support from CILIP and the library and information profession
The campaign has also resulted in a petition to MP John Whittingdale (Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport), which we would encourage everyone to sign.
CILIP have also suggested showing your support for the campaign in the following ways:
- Tweet your support: I’m standing up for our right to libraries #MyLibraryByRight
- Download the poster
- Download the logo to share on social media
- Show your support on National Libraries Day, 6 February
Full details of the campaign can be found here.